Greetings

This is a venue for whatever random literary accidents I happen to spawn. Feel free to hang around. If you read something, post a comment. It's the only way I know I have readers. I make no promises of updates, but they'll probably be more regular if I know I have a readership. I have ideas, I just lack time. And experience. And talent. And confidence in my ability as an author.

I should probably take a moment to address content. As the story is laid out now, there are no plans for sexual content of a graphic nature. That being said, I mince no words when it comes to violence or profanity, and sexuality probably won't be any different. The only promise I can make is that I will make sure to present such things in as tasteful a manner as possible. An artful scene change will be provided whenever the story allows.

To review-
Profanity: Yes
Sex: Maybe
Violence. Very yes.
This is not a children's story. I leave the decision to read it to you.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Wanderer: Genesis 3

“Gwaah!” Noah observed emphatically as he was hurled from the rent in space. He rolled as he hit the grass covered ground. The trip had been instantaneous, but it had felt like something had kicked field goals with his organs during that time.

Okay, maybe this isn’t a bullet induced fever dream. I certainly couldn’t have imagined that.

His mysterious guide slid through the rapidly closing gate as Haynes got to his feet unsteadily. The specter regarded him thoughtfully

“I suppose a warning would have been appropriate. I’ve heard that this particular form of travel can be somewhat unpleasant.”

Haynes glared at the mysterious nuisance that had come into his life.

“Okay, we’re here. Explain.”

“Give a woman time to take her coat off, would you?”

Before Noah could frame a question, she did just that. With a flourish, the figure flung the cloak into nothingness. Where once stood a shapeless phantasm now stood a fair, red haired woman. She was clad in a gown of royal purple velvet that wouldn’t have been out of place in a medieval festival. She stood shorter than Noah’s six feet and a hair, but only just. Fastened to her gown was a brooch in the shape of a harp.

“Huh. Death is an Irish chick,” Noah remarked. “Guess you were half right, Neil.” Her quick change made him conscious of his own clothing. Rather than the office dress plainclothes he had been wearing on the stakeout he was now dressed in a white T-shirt and odd, pocketless grey pants that seemed to be made from a canvas like material.

“I’m glad you’ve finally caught on to the situation,” Death said as she folded her hands in front of her. “Now, I believe I owe you an explanation.

“You are dead. I’m terribly sorry, but there’s no other way to tell you that. The wound you received during your battle was very severe. It should have been debilitating. We’re all amazed you managed to get to that church.”

“There you go using that word again. Who’s we?” Haynes demanded.

“We refers to myself and others who are concerned with maintaining balance within the cosmos,” she replied. “That explanation will have to suffice for now. Now please stop interrupting me. There is still much you need to know.

“These are the Elysian Fields, the final resting place of great heroes. It is a convenient place to stop while I explain why you are here.

“We have been watching you for a very long time. Your courage and tenacity do you credit. You have been chosen to undertake a journey.” She stopped for a moment, as if reluctant to speak. “You will be tested to your breaking point. You will experience things that have driven men mad. Should you fail, you will be cast into oblivion. There is nothing I can do to stop that. But if you succeed, you shall become a champion of justice, a bastion against both chaos and tyranny. You will be given power unimaginable. You will have to master it and yourself. For now, however, you merely have to survive.” Again she hesitates. “I’m afraid that won’t be an easy task. My instructions are very clear. There is very little I can do to aid you. I am sorry.”

“You make it sound like I’ll be stepping into hell,” Noah said, concern in his voice.

For a moment she looked as if she’d been struck. Then Death’s fair features turned downcast.

“You will be.”

No comments: